Washington, Help Us Inaugurate UberTAXI
January 14, 2013
- Supply will be limited at first. Many taxis don’t fit Uber standards, so we are curating our supply pretty carefully.
- Black car will remain the default. To request a taxi instead of a black car, be sure to select TAXI in the Uber app, then request as usual.
- Once you get in the car, your driver will start the regular taxi meter. At the end of the trip, your driver will input the fare into their Uber iPhone, including all tolls and surcharges that would normally apply for a DC taxi ride. After the fare is entered into the app a $2 Uber booking fee will be added.
- Like any Uber ride, you don’t need to pay the driver directly. All charges will go to your credit card on file.
- A 20% gratuity will be added to your fare. This will be done automatically and charged to your credit card, exactly like a black car Uber ride (and unlike any taxi ride you’ve ever taken here in the District!).
- At this time, TAXI will only be available for pick-ups in the District. If you are in Virginia or Maryland, stay tuned for updates about when UberTAXI will be available to you.
- Requesting via text message? Head to m.uber.com to request a taxi.
- Don’t need a taxi? You can keep using all the same sedan and SUV options exactly as before.