Regulators Demanding Uber Vancouver Price Increase! We Need Your Help!
As you know, we’ve been running our testing phase here in Vancouver (what we call our “Secret Ubers” test). Since secret Ubers hit the ground, Uber has tested the possibilities in creating a convenient, efficient, and classy transportation alternative in Vancouver. We think we have what it takes to improve transportation options for the citizens of Vancouver, and help grow the small businesses of our limousine partners.
Our test was with a pricing model that works well for our users in our over 20+ Uber cities. Unfortunately, as we move out of our Secret Uber phase this weekend, we’ll be raising our rates to $75 per hour, with a minimum charge for any trip of $75.
Why the rate hike?
The Vancouver Limousine industry is governed by the Passenger Transportation Board of British Columbia. The PTB sets rules for Limousine services, and in Vancouver they have set a minimum rate for any trip of $75 (regardless of distance or time travelled). They’ve asked Uber to raise our rates to $75 per trip, and while we have expressed our view that minimum rates DO NOT benefit consumers, we’ll comply while we work with them to figure out a solution that works for our users.
If you believe that a $75 minimum is wrong, we’d love for you to reach out to express your #UberVanLove:
1. Email the PTB! Tell them you want to “ABOLISH TAXI-PROTECTIONISM - LET UBER CHARGE LESS THAN $75 FOR A RIDE!”
2. Email your elected officials!
- Email Mayor Gregor Robertson here OR tweet at the Mayor (@MayorGregor)
- Email Minister of Transportation Mary Polak here OR tweet the Minister (@MaryPolakMLA)
- Email Premier Christy Clark here or tweet the Premier (@christyclarkbc)
- Andrew & Team
GM Uber Vancouver