July 9, 2012
STRIKE 8C – Remove sedan minimums.
Part B. — Uber Amendments6. Sec. 2 (c)(5A) (Page 5) is amended as follows:
(a) Strike the phrase “public vehicle-for-hire ride” and insert the phrase “taxicab ride” in its place.Explanation and Rationale
· This section would clarify that the 50-cent taxicab surcharge applies to taxicabs.7. Sec. 20m (a) (Page 36-7) is amended as follows:Strike the phrase “The Commission is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations governing the conduct of such vehicles, including, but not limited to” and insert the phrase “On or before July 1, 2013, the Commission shall promulgate rules and regulations governing the conduct of such vehicles, which may include, but not be limited to” in its place.Explanation and Rationale
· This section would require the Commission to issue rules regarding sedans within 1 year.
· Currently, the bill permits the Commission to issue regulations but the Commission is not required to do so.8. New subsections (c) and (d) are added to the new Sec. 20m (Page 36-7) to read as follows:“(c) (1) The minimum fare for sedan-class vehicles shall be five times the drop rate for taxicabs, as established by 31 DCMR § 801.3 (a).
“(2) The time and distance rates for sedan-class vehicles shall be greater than the time and distance rates for taxicabs, as established by as established by 31 DCMR § 801.3 (b) and (c).
“(3) On or after July 1, 2013, affected persons or businesses may petition the Commission to change the requirements of paragraphs (1) and (2) of this subsection by rule for good cause shown.
“(d) For the purposes of this section, a business that connects its riders to sedans shall be exempt from regulation by the Commission, provided that:
“(1) The business provides an estimated fare to the rider when a sedan is booked;
“(2) The method for calculating the fare structure and the applicable rates are provided by the business to the user of the mobile application prior to booking a sedan;
“(3) Upon completion of the trip, the rider is provided a receipt that lists the origination and destination of the trip, the total distance and time of the trip, and the total fare paid; and
“(4) The sedans operating this service are licensed and comply with the requirements of this section.”.Explanation and Rationale
· This section would clarify how sedan services operate.
· Sedans would be required to charge a minimum fare of 5 times the drop rate for taxicabs.
· Sedans would be required to charge time and distance rates that are greater as those for taxicabs.
· These requirements would ensure that sedan service is a premium class of service with a substantially higher cost that does not directly compete with or undercut taxicab service.
· This section would also clarify that businesses that connect passengers to sedans are exempt from regulation so long as they provide an estimated fare, disclose rates, provide a receipt, and use sedans licensed by the Commission to operate in the District.